The You Can Be My Angel Foundation is run by dedicated team of volunteers; people who take time from their busy schedules to help those less fortunate. Although we are a relatively young foundation, established in March 2013, we are growing fast. Within nine months since incorporation our group has reached 40 volunteers and we managed to help four little cancer patients.
Each volunteer brings a different set of skills to the foundation. We are stay at home mothers, students, musicians, artists, and business professionals. We use our talents, specific abilities, enthusiasm and creative energy to support children with cancer. So, whatever talents or skills you have, we can use them!
Our volunteers are involved in various fundraising programs and projects. From making salt dough angels to dressing up as Disney characters. We are at concerts, churches, picnics, and in stores asking people for donations. But above all, we spread joy. Our two clowns, Bubu and Awee are children’s favorite. Bubu and Awee are with us at all major events. They not only entertain young kids but also their parents. The clowns play with the children, surprise them with twisted balloons and guarantee great time and unforgettable memories.
We believe that our foundation opens hearts of others around us. Our enthusiasm is positively contagious. In general, all we want to do is demonstrate that if we join efforts we can accomplish great things.
Volunteering however takes up our time, energy, and sometimes, money. It can be hard work. It can find us doing and seeing new things, which can be challenging and even a little scary. So, you may ask yourself “What’s in it for me?” The answer is, plenty! Here are some of the things you might get in return for your giving:
- Making new friends
- Gaining important skills and experience that will help you later in life
- Making connections that can lead to a job or career
- Seeing more of your community
- Building confidence and self-esteem
- Feeling needed and important
- Feeling satisfaction at getting things done and helping others
- Meeting people who could be role models
- Using your mind, body, and creativity
- Getting active and healthier
- Relieving stress
- Fighting boredom
- Spending time doing what you really care about
- Gaining an edge on getting into college
- Feeling like you’re part of a community
- Having fun!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How can I become a volunteer?
A: We are delighted that our plea reaches people of good heart. Please contact a staff member at (773) 225-9749 to find about upcoming fundraising events and volunteering opportunities.
Q: Do I need to meet special requirements to become a volunteer?
A: YCBMAF does not have special requirements; everyone who feels the need to help can become a volunteer. However, we do ask of our volunteers to observe certain rules while fundraising on behalf of YCBMAF:
- Be reliable and punctual
- Follow through on your obligations, and do not promise what you can't deliver
- Be trustworthy
- Respect confidentiality
- Respect the rights of people you work with
- Have a non-judgmental approach
- Carry out the specified job description
- Give feedback (i.e. participate in volunteer meetings and evaluations)
- Be accountable and accept feedback
- Be committed to the program
- Avoid overextending yourself
- Acknowledge decisions made by the staff of the organization
- Ask for support when it is needed
- Address areas of conflict with the appropriate staff member or volunteer coordinator
- Refrain from using alcohol and drugs during YCBMAF’s events
We want the You Can be my Angel Foundation to grow larger and larger with each day, so that we can reach and help more children with cancer. If you enjoy helping others and love being part of a team share your heart and time with us. Join our team!Contact Us